Wednesday, September 30, 2015

ITU World Championships Photoblog

A different kind of race report because 1) there's three that I have to write in the next few days and 2) why not? A new flava flav is always good. :)

Please enjoy the photoblog of my first ITU World Championship!

ITU World Championship was on home soil this year, located in Chicago. We zoomed through O'Hare so I could make athlete check-in on time!

Traveling is stressful, so we try to have as much fun as we can with the airport decor :)



I learn quickly! Don't put the camera in front of your face for mirror selfies :P


I trained my Sherpa well! ;)

Our hotel room wasn't ready yet, so I had to reassemble my bike outdoors with this view. What a bummer!


After athlete check-in, building my bike, and checking Turbo Turtle in, we joined Team USA at the Parade of Nations.


It's always more fun with two, so I snuck my Sherpa into the parade.


First step of race day is to squeeze all of me into itty bitty that.


This was the Sherpa's idea. I was only here to race.


The Sherpa turned into an ambitious photographer and kept yelling at me to pose.


Sherpa is still clicking away!


HAMming it up because it's game time!


Rough swim. Cold water hurts the lungs. Always glad to be back on land!
And I broke rule #1 of racing -- don't try anything new on race day. I had to borrow Karen's wetsuit because my old one got too large for me.


Zoom zoom zoom! Too fast for the shutters. :) I caught tons of people on the bike!


Team USA all the way! 3 laps went by quickly, and I clocked a top 5 bike split.


My favorite leg of the race ended way too quickly!


First time trying to redline on the run since the concussion. Feeling good, form is good, legs feel good.


Not feeling good anymore! No smiles because that hurt. My head started hurting the last half mile, and I lost 4 places in the final stretch as 4 USA teammates passed me. Apparently, my brain still hasn't healed enough yet to endure redline runs :( Darn concussions!


But wheeee! All smiles from the ITU World experience and representing our country.
I placed 33rd in my age group. Not too bad for a long distance athlete :) Still got some speed in me!


The Sherpa snuck into the Athlete's Lounge and made me sit in the frozen kiddie pool.
And the hair proves that the windy city is no joke!


The Sherpa and I were convinced the big fan was there for photo ops, not to cool athletes down!


Might as well have some fun at the famous Bean on the way back to the hotel while I'm suited up!


We had an ET moment. 


After a delicious lunch, we watched the Elite women battle it out for Grand Final Champion, Olympic team rosters, and WTS Champion.


These three ladies ran side by side for 3 out of 4 laps and Gwen Jorgenson (USA) sprinted in the last 2k to win by over 22 seconds! #Gwensanity


We came back to our hotel room with an evening surprise! A friend we made in Salzburg sent us goodies from her favorite bakery in Chicago. I love the adventures and friends this sport gives me!


One race wasn't enough, so the Sherpa and I teamed up for a relay.
By the look on her face, I think the Sherpa prefers Sherpa-ing instead of racing.


Karen swam, I biked, and our friend Holly ran! We placed 1st!! Thanks for joining us Holly!
I also think I set a PR for a sprint bike leg, averaging 25mph :)


Until next time, Worlds!

Thank you Sherpa Karen Man for all the photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment